Thursday, April 14, 2005

The Bottom Line

"...that you may be...filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ--to the glory and praise of God" (Philippians 1:10-11).

There's no question that as Christians, we're expected to bear fruit. But that fruit comes through Jesus Christ. It's produced by Him, as I am united with Him, through the work of His Holy Spirit in me. He's the one who has to produce any real fruit I bear. Apart from Him, I can do nothing (John 15:5). And the ultimate point of that fruit--and of my life--is the glory and praise of God. That's the goal.

The point: It's not about me.

1 comment:

Jules said...

I have been reading in Philippians too lately and have been so encouraged!

…Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.[!!!] (3:13-14)

Paul's prayer for the Philippians is the same as mine for you:
… that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ–to the glory and praise of God. (1:9-11)