Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Forget Not

"Praise the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits..." Psalm 103:2

Over the weekend, my mentor Diane posed the question to me, "Can you trust God to be faithful now based on His faithfulness throughout your life?" She wanted me to recount all the times I could think of that God had shown Himself to be faithful and good in my life. To make a long story short, although I was really being a brat (I had hit a wall of tiredness, frustration and even anger), a conversation with her finally led to my opening my Bible and seeing, in my own handwriting in the margins of the Psalms, clear evidence of His faithfulness during a dry, lonely time five years ago. Granted, looking back--in Diane's words--"that was preschool, and you are going deeper now" :) Anyway, it blew me away as God met me there in His Word, with Psalms that had spoken to me so powerfully then, and spoke to me powerfully now--as well as with my own words of confidence in His faithfulness.

Later in the weekend, I was reading Psalm 78 and was again convinced of how crucial it is to remember and recount God's faithfulness. It was the Israelites' forgetfulness of God's character and deeds that caused them to stray from Him time and again. To put it simply: "They forgot what he had done, the wonders he had shown them" (Psalm 78:11)..."They did not remember" (v.42).

It was that remembering what He had done that began the breakthrough in my heart this weekend, I think.

This morning as I was flipping through the Psalms again, I ran across a familiar favorite, and one line struck me in a new way: "...forget not all his benefits..." (Psalm 103:2). Do you see a theme here, something God is trying to drive deep into my heart? Forget not, O my soul.

"I will remember the deeds of the LORD; yes, I will remember your miracles of long ago. I will meditate on all your works and consider all your mighty deeds. Your ways, O God, are holy. What god is so great as our God?" Psalm 77:11-13

No comments: