Monday, August 22, 2005

It's (Still) Not About You

"...do not say to yourself, 'The LORD has brought me here to take possession of this land because of my righteousness. ...It is not because of your righteousness or your integrity that you are going in to take possession of their land... Understand, then, that it is not because of your righteousness that the LORD your God is giving you this good land to possess, for you are a stiff-necked people" (Deuteronomy 9:4-6).

Three times God says: It's not about you! The message is loud and clear--He blesses not because we deserve it, but simply because of who He is: good, faithful, gracious, compassionate, merciful, loving, generous, forgiving. May I never presume that His blessing is because of my worthiness--like Israel, I have bene rebellious, stiff-necked, disobedient--I don't deserve it.

No comments: