Tuesday, August 02, 2005

A Writer's Life

I read this in Blue Like Jazz (fantastic book) this weekend and it made me laugh. The life of a writer:

"Writers don't make any money at all. We make about a dollar. It is terrible. But then again we don't work either. We sit around in our underwear until noon then go downstairs and make coffee, fry some eggs, read the paper, read part of a book, smell the book, wonder if perhaps we ourselves should work on our book, smell the book again, throw the book across the room because we are quite jealous that any other person wrote a book, feel terribly guilty about throwing the schmuck's book across the room because we secretly wonder if God in heaven noticed our evil jealousy, or worse, our laziness. We then lie across the couch facedown and mumble to God to forgive us because we are secretly afraid He is going to dry up all our words because we envied another man's stupid words. And for this, as I said before, we are paid a dollar. We are worth so much more."

--Donald Miller

4 comments:

Josh Garlow said...

Amy,
You hit mine, so I'm hitting yours.
Great hearing from you. Hope life is treating you well.
As far as writing goes, I've often said, "I just need one good song. One 'Shout to the Lord' or 'Here I am to Worship' and I'd be set for life." The problem is two-fold. 1) I don't write, so my chances of coming up with some incredible lyric and original melody are fairly slim. 2) All the worship guys who write these great tunes are normally great people as well, and they give all the money back to the church anyway. So... I'm with you on the sadness of brokeness from lack of writing. I guess I'll have to keep my day job.

Hummel Family said...

I am running into everybody through these Blogs! You look fabulous...and life looks great.

God Bless,
JoEllen

Jess said...

Amy! I finally found your blog after you've posted a few on mine :)...I too love this book and laughed all the way through it! Oh...and tell Maria she was a beautiful bride!!

Amy said...

Wow...so I have NO idea what the heck that last comment is...and I don't know how to delete it without deleting all the others. Blah.