Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Fried Okra



Steve took me out for dinner last night--no special occasion, just a fun and unexpected date night. There's this restaurant here in town called The Catfish House that looks nice from the outside and had been recommended to us, so we decided to check it out.

When we sat down, I noticed that three of the tables around us had little bowls filled with something small and fried. We had no idea what it was or whether we were going to get any, but sure enough, the waitress comes back and sets the bowl down in front of us: "Here's your fried okra."

I always wondered what okra was or what it tasted like. Steve and I raised our eyebrows at each other and each grabbed one to taste. We both chewed and promptly said, "Hmm." And grabbed another. The verdict? It was okay, but nothing to rave about. I think it would have benefitted from a dipping sauce. And I will certainly never understand how Southerners can consume okra like crazy but turn their noses up at rhubarb.

picture from Texas Cooking Online, Inc.

2 comments:

Beau and Kathryn said...

Aaahhh, Okra. And fried nonetheless. I love it. And yes, it's very consumeable, depending on the amount of salt and the batter in whic it was fried. I'm so glad you're getting a taste of my culture:) Love you girl.

rebekah said...

I LOVE FRIED OKRA!

... and i love rhubarb (but maybe this is because i have grown up a little here and a little there...:)