Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Do You Care?

Last Sunday was the International Day of Prayer for the Persecuted Church. Did you know? Do you care? Are you aware of the suffering and obstacles our brothers and sisters in Christ face daily in countries around the world?

Martyrs aren't a thing of the past. And religious persecution isn't just someone else's problem. It is, by command of our Father, our problem:

Remember those in prison as if you were their fellow prisoners, and those who are mistreated as if you yourselves were suffering (Hebrews 13:3).

I'm writing today because I just finished one of my all-time favorite books. I read it a few years ago but somehow, foolishly, forgot how compelling it is. Randy Alcorn's novel Safely Home may be fiction, but it's the product of years of research on the persecuted church in China. It's a labor of love, and it's absolutely gripping. You can get it on Amazon.com for less than $10. Put it on your Christmas list. Read it. And if you aren't moved; if you don't care about the persecuted church after you finish the last chapter, check your pulse. I pray God won't let me forget ever again.

You might find yourself not only moved to care about and pray for your brothers and sisters in chains worldwide--you might find yourself challenged to grow in your own faith. Alcorn has a way of doing that, even through fiction. He provides the eternal perspective most of us lack.

When you hear of Christians being persecuted around the world, don't just stop to say, "Thanks, Lord, that we can meet freely and worship You without punishment" and go on with your comfortable American life. Remember those in prison as if you were their fellow prisoners, and those who are mistreated as if you yourselves were suffering (Hebrews 13:3).

To find out what you can do--and there are things you can do--check out The Voice of the Martyrs. Inform yourself. Pray. Give. Encourage. But don't just turn a blind eye to their suffering. Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ (Galatians 6:2).

3 comments:

Christin said...

Amy, could I have your e-mail address? Drop me a note.
the_tin@hotmail.com
Thanks!

Kayla said...

Amy,
I read this book "A Heavenly Man" that I got when I was in England. It is the life story of a man from China. UNBELIEVABLE!!!! I was just thinking the other day that I had forgot about what I read, shame on me! We are all too fortunate sometimes and BABIES when we have to sacrafice anything at all.

Eric S. said...

Thanks for the reminder, Amy.You might be interested in this sermon I preached last Sunday--"Responding the Persecuted Church". It lists 10 ways to respond to the persecuted church.

Thanks for reminding your readers. May the Lord come for His bride.

Blessings,
Eric