Tuesday, April 25, 2006

The One With All The Plants

Steve and I are gardening. Well, let me rephrase that. Steve is gardening. I am supervising ;)

How are we gardening, you ask? Don't we have a second-story apartment? Yes. We have bought lots of cheap plastic pots from Wal-Mart. We are determined to have fresh vegetables this summer, yard or no yard. So if you drive into our apartment complex, our place is now easy to spot: it's the one with all the plants.


Currently we are growing two kinds of onions, two kinds of spinach, cherry tomatoes, broccoli, carrots, garlic, rhubarb, and bell peppers. Unfortunately we will not be able to harvest the rhubarb until next summer at the earliest--maybe even summer 2008. So we will have to get some from Steve's parents' monster rhubarb plant when we go home. Our little plant is just starting to peek up though!

My contribution to the garden is a hanging plant that's supposed to produce strawberries and a cute pink gerbera daisy plant. (I am no Sugarfused when it comes to floral photography, but the flowers are pretty.)

Steve, ever the scientist, had to buy both Miracle-Gro potting soil and regular potting soil, just to see if it really does make a difference. And you know what? It does. Here are the tomatoes with regular soil:

And here are the tomatoes with Miracle-Gro:

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

nice garden, and it reminded me to water my small plant i think its been about a month :)

Deb @ Sugarfused said...

I'm really impressed with the difference the Miracle Grow Potting Soile made in your tomato plants! I've repotted all of my flowers this year using the Miracle Grow and, so far, nothing's died. Considering my lack of a green thumb, that really IS a miracle!

Thanks for the linky love ;~)

Anonymous said...

Amy! I planted pink gerbera daisies in our flower bed as well...they're so cheery! Good luck with the vegetable garden. I think it's hillarious that you are growing a whole garden in pots. :) Thanks for the smiles!

Anonymous said...

I planted flowers, but with all the rain we have had recently, they are all dead. How sad! I also do not have a green thumb, so that could have added to it.

TKB said...

chia pet is always good...
Travis