Thursday, August 24, 2006

Idolatry Part 3: Abundant Life

As I'm growing in my understanding of idolatry, I've found this explanation from Mark Lauterbach to be extremely helpful (I'm paraphrasing because this was from a sermon--it's not an exact quote):

Our hearts are active. We are always trusting something. If we're not trusting the Savior, we're trusting a false savior, an idol. Idolatry is to say, "I need 'X' in order to be happy, in order to really have life." But in reality, 'X' has no power. Plug in your electricity and there's no power.

I was thinking on this last week when I read Romans 8:11: "And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit, who lives in you."

I am committing idolatry when I believe, or live like I believe, that I need "X" in order to be happy, or in order to "really live." But the truth is that "X"--whatever it is, if it is not Jesus Christ--has no power! It cannot give life! Only God, the Creator and Sustainer of Life, has the power to give life. Only God, who raised Jesus from the dead, can breathe new life into dead things. And so only God is worthy of my trust, my belief that if I have Him I will really have LIFE. The same Spirit that raised Christ from the dead is living in me--and when I allow Him to reign in my heart and put my trust in Him, He will give me LIFE--not just at the Resurrection, but abundant life here, now, today! Christ did not just come so that we could have "fire insurance" from hell; He said--

"I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full" (John 10:10).

1 comment:

Bethany said...

Okay I love listening to him and reading his blog. I consider it a big treat to go to San Diego for the weekend and am very disappointed if he isn't speaking that week. HEE HEE.