Thursday, April 19, 2007

A Favorite Chicken Recipe

I mentioned this recipe in my recent food meme--thought I would pass it along for those of you who, like me, enjoy trying new things all the time--or for those who are just tired of the same old same old for dinner. It's incredibly easy (I was able to pull it off years ago, which tells you it's brainless) and wonderfully yummy. Good enough for company but simple enough to make any night of the week. And in fact, we nearly always have all the ingredients on hand. No idea why this blog has suddenly become all food, all the time, but anyway, here it is:

Savory Chicken Breasts*

6 boneless/skinless chicken breasts
6 slices Swiss or mozzarella cheese (can also use shredded, which is what we always have on hand)
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2 c. milk
dry stuffing mix (Stove-Top is better than the crushed Pepperidge Farm I recently used--cubed PF might be OK)
3 oz. melted butter

Arrange chicken in 13x9 dish and place a slice of cheese on each breast. Mix soup and milk; pour over chicken. Sprinkle with stuffing (I can't remember how much the original recipe called for, but I use a lot more because I like it a lot--just kind of liberally pour it over the chicken) and drizzle the melted butter over the top.

Bake at 325 degrees for 20 minutes covered, then 25-30 minutes uncovered.


*As mentioned before, Steve protests at the name of this. He thinks any recipe title should be descriptive, not prescriptive--it should tell you what flavors there are (Raspberry Chicken, Bruschetta Chicken, etc) not how you should react to the taste (mmm, this is Savory!). Any new suggestions that are better than "Souper Freakin' Chicken" will be considered. Thanks. :)

2 comments:

Kat Coble said...

We've always called that recipe "creamy chicken breasts", which is itself inaccurate as the breasts are not actually creamy but in a cream sauce.

Savory has several definitions besides the reactive adjective. ("mmm,I'm loving this. It's savory!")

Because it is used as a noun in British English to describe a course which is the opposite of our "dessert" (their "pudding") comprised of a spicy dish, "Savory" is also used to describe a certain type of food which generally has a dusky flavour.

I have several cookbooks which use the phrase "Savory Soups and Stews".

All in all, Steve needs to lighten up. ;-p

Anonymous said...

This recipe sounds delicious...I have one my family enjoys that is very similar....same as yours except you use white wine instead of the milk and a second can of soup (so you'll have lots of sauce), and you leave the cheese off the chicken, do everything else the same, and then when the dish is baked the alloted time you remove from oven, add the cheese on top of the stuffing/butter, return to oven just long enough for the cheese to melt.

Using the extra can of soup gives plenty of sauce for serving this with noodles or rice if desired...and the wine gives it a great flavor....however, many of our friends don't use alcohol even in cooking (I cook with it, but don't imbibe) so I'm glad to have your recipe....also, when I make my recipe I do use the cube stuffing, but I crush it coarsley and instead of pouring the butter over, I toss it with the crushed stuffing cubes.

My recipe is called Nazerian Chicken---the family who gave the recipe to me didn't have a name for it, so I named it after them.

I can attest to the fact that it is delicious....