Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Quick, Easy, Cheap, Yummy

What more can you ask for on a busy weeknight than a dinner that's wholesome, inexpensive, and can be thrown together quickly from basic pantry ingredients? This easy meal is definitely going to become a more regular fixture on our family's menu.

Steve and Elijah love salmon. It's not my favorite, and it can be pricey, but because it's so healthy, I try to incorporate it into our diet semi-regularly. Steve grills it sometimes, and I've tried baking it, but I've decided that salmon melts, a recipe I got from Passionate Homemaking, are my favorite way to eat this fish. Maybe in part because the strong garlic flavor overpowers the fishiness? :) In other words, beware of your breath!

This recipe uses canned salmon (wild caught--that's important), which I can get at Aldi at the fantastic price of just $1.99 for 14 oz. I've been told you can also find canned wild salmon at Trader Joe's. I've never looked anywhere else.

We've only eaten these two or three times, but the more I make them, the more I like them. It was the perfect meal last Thursday when I was gone all afternoon and didn't get home until 4:30. As long as I keep a can of salmon in the cupboard, I almost always have the other ingredients.

Salmon Melts

1 -14 oz. can wild salmon
1 1/2 t. paprika
1 1/2 t. garlic powder
3 T mayonnaise (or more, to taste)
1/4 teaspoon salt

Remove bones and skin from salmon. Mix with remaining ingredients and spoon over slices of whole wheat bread. Arrange on baking sheet and top with slices of tomato (optional) and sliced or shredded cheese (we've tried and enjoyed both Provolone and cheddar). Bake at 350-375 degrees until cheese is melted and salmon is warmed (about 10 minutes). Makes 4 servings.

4 comments:

zoanna said...

Thanks for the recipe. I will try it. I have salmon in the freezer and have kept avoiding it because I just don't care for it that much (so strong) and not inclined to hunt a recipe .Although we had it years ago on the grill with a pineappple/red pepper glaze that was good, I bite the proverbial bullet to make it for Paul. I'll let you know how this goes.

Danielle said...

This looks tasty. We love salmon! I've not noticed that Aldi has wild caught canned salmon, so I'll have to check mine and see if they do. If so, I'll be excited!

Danielle said...

Do you serve it with anything else, or is is a meal within itself?

Amy said...

it's pretty light; I usually try to serve it with something green--a salad, or steamed broccoli, or whatever.