Thursday, September 09, 2010

Better Than Ex Nihilo

Just needing to preach to myself again this week...feel free to listen in :)

"...the God...who gives life to the dead and calls into existence the things that do not exist" (Romans 4:17).


My friend Lydia pointed me to this verse recently, sharing how encouraged she had been to read it and think about this aspect of God. Primarily it refers to creation, of course--the wonder that God created everything out of nothing. But, Lydia said, couldn't it also apply to what God can do in my own heart?

There is HOPE in who God is! He is the God who calls into existence the things that do not exist: love and compassion for others; joy in difficult circumstances; courage to speak hard words; trust in Him despite the unknown future...He is able to create all these things and so many more, out of nothing.

In fact, in some ways His work in my heart is *more* impressive than creating the world out of nothing, because apart from Christ my heart was not simply empty, without form and void--it was full of rebellion and unbelief and love for self. When He breathed life into my heart and gave me faith in Him, He was not just creating out of nothing; He was creating the exact opposite of what was already there!

This powerful, life-giving, transforming God continues His astounding work in my heart. He is committed to remaking me in the image of His Son, which means I can have hope--not in my own efforts to change or ability or knowledge, but because of who He is and what He has done and continues to do. He calls into existence the things that do not exist in my heart.

No comments: