Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Sweet & Healthy Cornbread

Having grown up on Jiffy mix, Steve and I like our cornbread sweet. I think this is sacrilegious to true Southerners...but hey, we think their cornbread looks like pancakes, so I guess we're even :)

Anyway, so when I first tried making cornbread from scratch, none of the recipes were satisfying because they weren't sweet enough. Then I found this one, and I haven't bought a boxed mix since. It doesn't look like cornbread, since the whole wheat flour and sucanat give it a dark brown color instead of the expected yellow. But we think the taste makes it irrelevant whether it looks like "real" cornbread--yum!

I really need to start taking and posting pictures with my food posts. Alas.

Sweet, Healthy Cornbread

1 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
2/3 c. sucanat
1/2 c. cornmeal
1 T baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1 1/4 c. milk
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/3 c. coconut oil, melted
3 T butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350* and grease an 8-inch square pan. Combine dry ingredients. Combine wet ingredients in a separate bowl (mix fats first--do not add cold milk to melted coconut oil). Stir both mixtures together until blended (do not overstir). Pour batter into prepared pan and bake 35 minutes. For muffins, bake at 350* for 18-20 minutes (yields about 18-20 small muffins).

Enjoy as a side dish--or crumble and use in tuna cornbread cakes.

No comments: